About rugrats, minivans, The South, photography, farmer's markets, puberty, Army, snotty noses, blankies, movies, hugs, autism, make believe, homeschooling, sibling rivalry, car seats, weather, in-laws, scribbles, marriage, and somewhere in there, a stoned British reporter.

Friday, May 02, 2008

Deceptive crackers

A few weeks ago, while grocery shopping, I got a craving. They strike me from time to time, as cravings are wont to do. I craved summer sausage, cheese, and crackers. Which is something we usually only have around the house during New Year's or the Super Bowl.

So I got some summer sausage and awesome cheese in my cart and then headed to the cracker section. I am really picky when it comes to crackers. I wanted something semi-healthy to balance out the fact I would be eating summer sausage, which I am pretty sure is the exact opposite of healthy.

I peruse the aisle for a few minutes, weighing the advantages of Triscuits over Wheat Thins. (Wheat thins are just way too small for the sausage I got, and too crunchy) I wasn't totally happy with Triscuits either, as they can tend to be dry. I wanted something crispy. I saw the Ritz, but that didn't strike my fancy either. And then, then I saw the crackers I wanted. Ritz has a brand called "Simply Socials", and there was a variety that was whole wheat! So I could have the healthiness I was wanting, but the crispy too! Huzzah!

I get home, and after I get the rest of the groceries put away, I sit down to have some of my snack. It really hit the spot and was exactly what I was looking for. I think I had like 8 crackers.

The next day, I decided to have the same thing for lunch. (Sometimes when I have a craving I need to overindulge to get it to go away) I am sitting there, eating and bored. I decide to read the back of the box. There wasn't much there so I turned to the side to read the nutrition info, and that's when I about choked on the cracker I was eating.

A serving size? 4 crackers. Those 4 little crackers contain 70 calories, 25 of which are from fat. There are 3 grams of fat in a serving. So these little crackers that looked so healthy on the front of the box? Yeah, they contain almost a gram of fat. . .PER CRACKER.

No wonder they were so good.

No comments: