About rugrats, minivans, The South, photography, farmer's markets, puberty, Army, snotty noses, blankies, movies, hugs, autism, make believe, homeschooling, sibling rivalry, car seats, weather, in-laws, scribbles, marriage, and somewhere in there, a stoned British reporter.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Yet Another Birthday Kid

Every year, for every one of our kids' birthdays, I'm always left saying I can't believe "insert name" is "x" years old now. Sometimes I wonder if it gets tiring for other people to hear. I can honestly say though, with every birthday, every year, that feeling of astonishment is genuine.

Today, I can't believe Logan is 6 years old. Logan was our surprise baby, the one we didn't know we needed. His path hasn't been easy so far. His reality is full of various therapies and sensory issues. I feel bad for him at times, especially when he is playing with other kids his age, and the differences become even more marked. Thankfully though, he doesn't notice yet.

There are lots of victories this past year. He is finally getting into swimming pools some, and is learning his shapes and colors. Letters and numbers are still a far off concept, but I'm confident he'll get there someday. His sentence structure has come along in leaps and bounds, and he graduated from physical therapy. He's also gaining more independence and confidence all the time. "I do it, I'm big!" He's also such a good natured soul, and I hope life doesn't beat that out of him as he gets older.

Later today I'm making a pirate birthday cake, and we're going to celebrate 6 years of getting to have Logan as a part of our family.

Happy Birthday, kiddo.

thunder8

6 comments:

The Mrs. said...

I love that smile. Happy sixth birthday, Logan!

Les said...

As I bragged about Logan at work today it occurred to me how far he's come - today was reminiscing about last year's victory in my folks' pool. And besides, who could not love that handsome smile?

Very proud grandmother, I am. :) Happy Birthday, sweet Logie.

Meghann said...

Les-can you believe in Florida he actually got in the pool himself some with floaties on? I was ECSTATIC. We'll see how he does when we come up to visit.

Lacey said...

He is so adorable! Happy birthday Logan!

furiousBall said...

Happy Birthday Dude!

designHER Momma said...

as they say, time flies. I say the same thing about my kids. slow down....