About rugrats, minivans, The South, photography, farmer's markets, puberty, Army, snotty noses, blankies, movies, hugs, autism, make believe, homeschooling, sibling rivalry, car seats, weather, in-laws, scribbles, marriage, and somewhere in there, a stoned British reporter.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

A homeschooling blip

Since we have a pretty free-styling method of homeschooling, it allows me to explore different methods. (like the new way I came up with to do long division that is actually easier than what we were taught in school.) It also allows me to let the kids take the lead a lot, and sometimes, that turns out to be awesome.

My kids don't like math worksheets. Well, who does, really? Lindsay is always the most reluctant to complete them for me. We actually don't do them very often, because I don't believe that's the best way to learn math. I think actually understanding the how's and why's are more important. Every once in a while though, I like to do one with a bunch of different concepts on it to see what the kids can do. On those days, Lindsay's eye rolling capacity is set from stun to kill, and much audible sighing happens.

But then, then the day after happened. The day where Lindsay decided to make a worksheet for her dad to fill out. The brilliance of it? He gave it back to her to check it. It was totally her idea, and she saw it as a way of playing, but in reality, she was doing the problems too, since she had to check them.

I'm filing this one away for future use.

No comments: