About rugrats, minivans, The South, photography, farmer's markets, puberty, Army, snotty noses, blankies, movies, hugs, autism, make believe, homeschooling, sibling rivalry, car seats, weather, in-laws, scribbles, marriage, and somewhere in there, a stoned British reporter.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Perspective

I've been having a major frustration lately. I cannot buy fresh fruit. Or string cheese. Or carrots. When I do, they are gone so fast it makes my head spin. I get upset thinking "I JUST bought those bananas!" It's very easy to get caught up in the frustration of it all. We go through loads of fruit, and that stuff isn't cheap these days.

Then one day it really dawned on me. I shouldn't be angry over this, I should be elated. My children LOVE fresh fruits and vegetables. They can't get enough when I buy healthy snacks. Oh darn. I turned to the hubby one day and said "I just realized, but it's not like they are going through tons of cheetos and soda." It's stuff that they should be eating a lot of. I mean, how awesome is it really that we are raising children that are happy as clams if they see a bowl of fruit on the table? It hit the point even further home when we were on vacation. I saw a commercial come on tv about a mom wondering whether or not to tell her child the truth, that there were vegetables in the food she really likes eating. And I sat there and thought about the fact that I can tell my kids when there are vegetables in things. They like vegetables, and were probably confused by that commercial. They are healthy happy kids who will most likely grow up to have healthy eating habits.

I guess there are worse things in life than having to buy lots of bananas.

3 comments:

Lacey said...

J loves fruits and veggies but I can't keep fresh ones around at all without them spoiling. 2 days and they go bad...I get so frustrated at all the wasted money. So, we typically do frozen around here.

Lorie said...

Amen! If only I got excited when I saw loads of fresh fruit/veggies in my fridge. Lol. Those kids of yours are wonderful!

Anonymous said...

you must have the coolest kids ever.