About rugrats, minivans, The South, photography, farmer's markets, puberty, Army, snotty noses, blankies, movies, hugs, autism, make believe, homeschooling, sibling rivalry, car seats, weather, in-laws, scribbles, marriage, and somewhere in there, a stoned British reporter.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

THE Talk.

I finally took the plunge yesterday and did something I have been terrified to do. I had the big talk with Ryan. I attacked it from an anatomical standpoint to see if that would help me feel a bit less freaked out. (It didn't, by the way) I am glad I chose now to talk to him about it. Apparently his friends haven't talked about the big s-e-x yet, so he really didn't have any clue. There was no misinformation or rumors or anything I had to undo. I was able to be the one to introduce the whole concept to him, which I feel pretty good about. We ended up talking for an hour, going into a lot of different areas of the subject. Ryan seemed surprised, and there were a few things that made him raise his eyebrows, but on the whole, he took it way better than I did. When it was over, Ryan just walked off to watch some cartoons like nothing had happened. I, on the other hand, was ready for a good stiff drink and a nap.

The absolute highlight of the conversation was when I asked Ryan to guess something. We had discussed the egg in the woman, and the sperm in the man. I then told him that the sperm need to get to the egg inside the woman, and I asked him how he thought they get there.

His answer?

"They get caught up in the wind?"

Dandelion seeds floating through the air will never look the same again.

No comments: