About rugrats, minivans, The South, photography, farmer's markets, puberty, Army, snotty noses, blankies, movies, hugs, autism, make believe, homeschooling, sibling rivalry, car seats, weather, in-laws, scribbles, marriage, and somewhere in there, a stoned British reporter.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Couch to 5K: Week 1

Tracker of my minutes I've walked/jogged:





Well, week one of the program is over. It was an interesting week, and definitely a learning experience.

Day 1: Monday I went to the track, nervous but filled with confidence and high hopes. Which all went quickly down the drain. By the end of the first stretch of jogging I was thinking "Uh oh." By the end of the third stretch, my legs were burning, I couldn't catch my breath, and the minute seemed to stretch on for an eternity. By the fifth and sixth segments, I started feeling a bit sick to my stomach, and my chest was hurting. The seventh segment, tunnel vision set in, and I started to have visions of "And they found the vomit covered body lying next to the track. . ." So I didn't do the last minute of jogging, and walked back to the car. I didn't even make it all the way around the track. (which is a big one, and actually the exact right length for this program. Going around once takes you through that day's program) I went home feeling totally wiped, but after a while felt pretty good. That is, until the soreness set in the next day. I developed what we affectionately now refer to as my "robot walk". And I had to do it again on Wednesday?!?!

Day 2: Wednesday rolled around and I was still sore, but not dying any more. I decided to try light stretching all day to see if that would help my muscles release the lactic acid, and it did really help. By the time I got to the track, I was feeling decent. Still a little sore, but ok. I also decided to learn from my past mistakes. Instead of jogging hard at the beginning, I really held back. Like, a lot. I think I saw a snail pass me at one point. I also decided to lengthen the walking portions, but just by a little bit. That turned out to be a smart move. At no point did I think I was going to meet my demise. Actually, by the end, I was able to up my speed a bit, so I was going much faster than I was at the beginning. I made it all the way around the track too! For the first time I actually thought that I really might be able to do this. I earned my hardcore badge that day too. It was raining, cold, and there were wind gusts up to 30 mph. And I STILL ran.

Day 3: Was Friday, still lingering soreness, but I was no longer afraid to go to the track either. It was cold and windy, but once I got going, the cold was taken care of. Once again I started off much slower, and did the longer walking time in between the first five running segments. I was doing so well though, that for the last three, I did the assigned 90 seconds in between jogs. It pushed me quite a bit, and I felt a little nauseated by the end because I was actually jogging at a pretty good pace, BUT I still felt ok. No chest pain, no tunnel vision, and once again, no thoughts of death. I was happy with myself, which I know is really important. Morale is a big factor when you are doing an exercise program alone. My only problem today was my right knee acted up a bit. I put ice on it as soon as I got home, and hopefully it will behave itself. It has the whole weekend to rest and heal.

I think the one thing I need to add to my regimen is stealing the hubby's Ipod. The music would probably really help the time go by when I am doing the actual jogging sections, and give me something else to listen to other than my poor out of shape gasping breath.

Oh yeah, I have to say that where I am jogging is motivation to get more fit, since it's on the Army base. As I'm jogging, I'm either passing groups of soldiers having PT, or in formation, or just hanging out. Or they're on the track jogging with me. Not looking like an out of shape dork in front of all those people is a really good goal.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I linked to your page from a friends page. I am going to attempt the "Couch to 5K", so I am really interested in how you like it. I don't have warm weather or a treadmill, so I have to wait until it gets a little warmer out. But, keep us posted on how you progress. Based on what you described on day 1, I fear I will experience the same thing. YIKES! Keep up the good work! You are an inspiration!

The Mrs. said...

I know there was nothing funny about it at the time, but your retelling of the first day had me crack up. As a former track/cross country runner I shudder at the idea of how quickly I would be begging for mercy if I started running again. Not pretty and slightly embarrassing. Definitely swipe the iPod - music always help!

I'm proud of you for sticking with it especially during those nasty weather days - way to go!!!

Lacey said...

See, you can do it!! I am so proud of you!!

The ipod is a good thing, music distracts me from the pain till I hit my runner's high about 10 minutes into a run. They also have a couch to 5k podcast that you can download so with spoken cues on when to jog and when to walk, so you don't have to time yourself. I used those up until about week 7 or so when the runs got longer (and the music worse...LOL).

Meghann said...

Anonymous- Thank you! I think the first day is the big hurdle. For me, it hasn't been so bad since then. So when you do get a chance to get started, if you're dying the first day like I was, know that it will get easier from there. :)

The Mrs.- Yeah, I was kind of shocked at just how bad of shape I was in. I thought I would do better that first day than I did.

Lacey- Thanks! I am going to have to look into downloading that. It would be a big help, rather than stealing hubby's watch every time I want to run, and looking like a weirdo looking at that watch every 10 seconds while I run, lol!

cmh said...

Awesome job, sweetie! As soon as we kick the cold I'll be right there with you.

Meghann said...

Carolyn-thanks! It will be fun to have more people joining me on the death march, I mean, jogging.