About rugrats, minivans, The South, photography, farmer's markets, puberty, Army, snotty noses, blankies, movies, hugs, autism, make believe, homeschooling, sibling rivalry, car seats, weather, in-laws, scribbles, marriage, and somewhere in there, a stoned British reporter.

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Movie Reviews Round Deux

Quite a while back I did a movie review post. At the time, I promised to do another one, and then life happened and I never got around to it. Well, I have some time now, so here we go!

As a refresher, here is the rating system:

1 star = hated it
2 stars = didn't like it
3 stars = liked it
4 stars = really liked it
5 stars = loved it

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

27 Dresses 3 stars
I enjoyed this somewhat. I am a huge Grey's Anatomy fan, so I love Katherine Heigl. But, this movie was a bit. . .predictable. A cookie cutter chick flick basically. Case in point, due to extenuating circumstances, I only saw the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes, and I don't really feel like I missed out on anything. When I came back in at the end, I wasn't lost or anything, even though I had missed most of the movie. So, enjoyable, but not exactly a "think piece".

August Rush 5 stars
Loved this. Loved loved loved. Some of that love probably comes from being a musician, and thus having a soft spot for movies about musicians. And this was about a prodigy being born out of two good musicians, and with me and the hubby being two good musicians, this was like, our dream. Not to have our child lost and all that, but the prodigy part. This one, once again was a bit predictable, but I didn't care. Still loved it.

10,000 B.C. 2 stars
Pretty much one word sums up this entire movie: meh. I just wasn't impressed. At one point I was even bored. Someday, this will play on t.v. and you could watch it then. I wouldn't recommend actually spending money to watch it though.

Vantage Point 4 stars
When I saw the cast, I knew there was no way this could be a bad movie. And I was right. It was really good. The story line was intriguing, it keeps you on your toes. Although the hubby was mad because I figured out the big plot twist and the "who done it" about halfway through the movie. This didn't get 5 stars because the way the movie is presented got annoying. It felt a bit like the movie Groundhog Day, but without the comedy. They set it up to where you watch things unfold through one character's eyes, the movie rewinds (literally, you watch it backwards very fast) and it goes back to the same time, and you watch it from a different character's view. It was okay the first few times, but by time 5 or 6, you could hear everyone in the audience sigh audibly when the rewind thing started. Besides that though, it was a good movie and I recommend it. See if you can figure out the twist early on like I did!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Same as last time: leave any comments, agreements, flames, etc. below!

1 comment:

Lorie said...

I liked 27 dresses. I saw it with my sister in law. Her great idea? Go to Starbucks before and then buy a big water at the movies. I had to pee like 4 times during the movie, but same as u, I don't think I missed anything. Looks like I need to see August Rush/Vantage Point. I'm looking forward to that movie night!