About rugrats, minivans, The South, photography, farmer's markets, puberty, Army, snotty noses, blankies, movies, hugs, autism, make believe, homeschooling, sibling rivalry, car seats, weather, in-laws, scribbles, marriage, and somewhere in there, a stoned British reporter.

Monday, December 04, 2006

The day my innocence was lost

I'll admit it, I am a freak. One of my favorite sandwiches is bologna (or baloney, or whatever) I eat the beef kind. For some reason unidentifiable cow parts make me feel better than unidentifiable chicken and pigs.

Now, I was buying the "thick cut" kind by the brand that has a first and last name. I was even using 2 pieces on my sandwich, it was great. Until the day I decided to start reading calorie numbers and such. I figured that now I am on the downhill slide to 30 that it would be a good thing to do. The day I read about my beloved bologna (or baloney or whatever) I about had a heart attack. (and I thought reading the info was going to be good for me!)

In one slice, ONE slice, of it, is 25% of your daily saturated fat. I'll let that sink in for a minute. . . .and yeah, after doing the math, I realized that I had been using up 50% of my daily allowance of it in one sandwich. No wonder it tasted so good.

So I am having to kick the habit. I have cut back to one slice and have added some cheese instead. I know it's not much better, but baby steps you know, baby steps.

But this, not being able to eat bologna (or baloney or whatever) anymore, now THIS makes me feel old.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Oh Meghann, I seriously was laughing out loud at this!!! You crack me up!

It's amazing when we read labels what we find out. That is why for some of my favorites I have to just act like I am illiterate and not read the labels. What I don't know won't hurt me, right? :)