About rugrats, minivans, The South, photography, farmer's markets, puberty, Army, snotty noses, blankies, movies, hugs, autism, make believe, homeschooling, sibling rivalry, car seats, weather, in-laws, scribbles, marriage, and somewhere in there, a stoned British reporter.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

They grow up fast

Lindsay has the stomach flu. Which just. . .sucks. I am scared the boys are going to get it, and I'm even more scared that Hannah will get it. But, even though she is puking, she is hungry all the time. I usually have to debate: do I let her eat knowing it will come right back up, or do I try and distract her?

Last night, she said she was hungry but I told her she had to wait until I was done nursing Hannah. She was watching a movie, and I was hoping she'd just zone out again, maybe even fall asleep! But then I heard little noises from the kitchen. I knew it was her, but wanted to watch and see what she was doing before I went in for the kill. (sometimes curiosity is able to override the blood lust)

I heard the bread bag, then the toaster, then the bread bag again. Then I see her toddle across the kitchen. A second or two lapses, and she toddles back the other way, with one of my oven mitts on! Then before I knew it she was sitting at the table eating a piece of toast.

I went into the kitchen to investigate, and lo and behold, the child had even put the twist tie back on the bread correctly! Let me tell you, I have never been more proud of that girl. And she was even very proud of the twist tie, ensuring that she is woman. I can already hear her nagging at her future husband. . .

No comments: