About rugrats, minivans, The South, photography, farmer's markets, puberty, Army, snotty noses, blankies, movies, hugs, autism, make believe, homeschooling, sibling rivalry, car seats, weather, in-laws, scribbles, marriage, and somewhere in there, a stoned British reporter.

Monday, April 09, 2007

A new love

Today I experienced a first. It was something I had looked at online before, but never actually took the plunge and bought anything. I decided to go see it in person instead. I had heard people rave, and now I totally understand why.

I went to Ikea.

As I drove up, I noticed it looked a little big, but I didn't think much of it. I have been spoiled by Super Walmarts and Sam's clubs I guess. I got a cart and went in. It took all of my will power after I walked in to not let my jaw hit the floor. Oh. My. GOSH. I looked around in wide eyed wonder like a tourist. Stuff everywhere! Cool stuff! Look at all the ideas! The possibilities!

I was on a quest to find something to put our bird cage on. Something sturdy yet not too bulky, with some storage space. I found the perfect thing. It's called their Effektiv stroage collection. Basically you get to custom build what you want out of the various pieces. It is the awesome. I also needed a dresser for my boys to share and was equally successful finding something I liked.

I wandered around the store for a while, just taking it all in and looking. I need to go back, to look again, because I am sure there is a lot I missed.

I brought all my pieces home and over the course of the evening I have been slowly putting together the one for the birds. (I would have had it put together already, but a killer migraine is keeping me from being as productive as I would like.) The assembly is a breeze though. And it's kinda like sex in a way. Insert tab "A" into slot "B", and do a little screwing and it's done! And the results are pretty satisfying.

I am in love.

3 comments:

Lorie said...

I love Ikea. If only for the cheap tea candles. I do need some more storage, guess I'll have to make a trip up there as well!

Angi said...

I love to read your writing, I always have a BIG smile on my face!

Unknown said...

God, I wish we had IKEA here in Denver. I wish, I wish, I wish! I always try to visit when I am back in Maryland.